美国人经常挂在嘴边的话大纲

英语社 人气:2.7W
美国人经常挂在嘴边的话


put somebody out of their misery informal

to stop somebody worrying by telling them something that they are anxious to know (告知情况以)消除某人的忧虑

Put me out of my misery─did I pass or didn't I?

别再让我着急了--我及不及格?



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第2张


get/have your own way

to get or do what you want, especially when somebody has tried to stop you 一意孤行;为所欲为

She always gets her own way in the end.

她最后总是一意孤行.




go a long/some way towards doing something

to help very much/a little in achieving something (对做某事)帮助很大/不大,作用很大/不大

The new law goes a long way towards solving the problem.

新的法律十分有助于解决这一问题.



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第3张


go out of your way (to do something)

to make a special effort to do something 特地;格外努力

He would always go out of his way to be friendly towards her.

他总是特意向她表示友好.



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第4张


go your own way

to do as you choose, especially when somebody has advised you against it 一意孤行;我行我素

It's best to let her go her own way if you don't want a fight.

你要不想打架的话,最好是随她去好了.




heart and soul

with a lot of energy and enthusiasm 满腔热忱干劲十足;全心全意

They threw themselves heart and soul into the project.

他们全心全意地投入了这个项目.



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第5张


let your heart rule your head

to act according to what you feel rather than to what you think is sensible 感情用事



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第6张


take heart (from something)

to feel more positive about something, especially when you thought that you had no chance of achieving something (由于某事)增强信心;重新振作起来

The government can take heart from the latest opinion polls.

政府可以从最近的民意测验中找回信心.



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第7张


to your heart's content

as much as you want 尽情地;心满意足

a supervised play area where children can run around to their heart's content

一处能让孩子们尽情游玩且有人看管的地方



美国人经常挂在嘴边的话 第8张


close/dear/near to somebody's heart

having a lot of importance and interest for somebody 为某人所重视关心;为某人所爱